Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards Review


I never met Jonathan Edwards but he has made an enormous impact on my life. Edwards was a profound scholar and theologian and preacher. He was only nineteen when he wrote his 70 resolutions for how he would live his life. Most people have not even thought of 70 ways that they wanted to live their life by the time they are 70. Edwards was committed to one thing: bringing glory to God. To bring glory to God was the highest achievement that Edwards thought was possible. In this book Steven J. Lawson takes the reader through an amazing look at those resolutions and how they impacted Edwards life.

Dr. Lawson does an excellent job of grouping the resolutions so that the reader may easily follow what resolutions impacted a particular aspect of Edwards life and ministry. The reader will be challenged to live a life like that of Edwards in regards to glorifying God. Here are a few things that challenged me from the book:
Edwards was fully committed to honoring the Lord in every area of his life, and to doing so with an unwavering resolve.
“Resolutions” were neither pious hopes, romantic dreams, nor legalistic rules. Instead they were intensely positive and practical, comprising instructions for life, maxims to be followed in all respects.
Edwards’ Resolutions constituted personal vows to himself, pledges to pursue holiness.
For Edwards, the advancement of the glory of God in Christ was everything.
Resolved, never to do any manner of thing, whether in soul or body, less or more, but what tends to the glory of God; nor be, nor suffer it, if  I can avoid it.

I could continue with at least thirty more lines from this book that I was challenged on. This book will cause you to look introspectively on your heart. Dr. Lawson along with Edwards will challenge you to live a life that is more glorifying to God. I know I read this book and will read it again so that I am reminded of how I can better glorify God in what I do. This book is a must read for all believers!

No comments:

Post a Comment